Parenting the College Kid
By Jackie Burrell, About.com Guide
The college admissions process is crazed and competitive - but you don't have to be. Here's a simple guide to what to do and when, from SATs to Move-In Day.
- College Admissions 101: A Parent Guide
- Getting the Most Out of a College Tour
- A Parent Guide to Financial Aid
- College Admissions for Music Majors
- Community College 101: Everything You Need to Know
- The Gap Year
- You're In! Countdown to Move-In Day
- The Lowdown on Campus Housing
College Kids & the Law
Turning 18 is a big deal, not just from a parent's emotional perspective, but legally too. Here's a quick rundown on everything you need to know when your child turns 18.
- Happy 18th Birthday: Teens & the Law
- The Selective Service, the Draft & Your Son
- Statutory Rape: Teens, Sex & the Law
- Underage Drinking & Parent Liability
- Federal Privacy Laws, Your Kid's Grades & You
- 5 Ways the Law Affects Parents
From laundry to extra-long sheets, dorm life involves new skills and new experiences. Here's a guide to what your college kid is likely to need, from paperwork to bandaids.
- Dorm Life 101: Everything a Parent Should Know
- Choosing a Dorm Meal Plan
- Dorm Shopping 101
- A To-Do List for Parents
- Worst. Roommate. Ever.
- Stashing that Stuff: Summer Storage Options
- Thanksgiving Break Survival
- The First Apartment
Health & Safety
You may not be there to hover over every sniffle, but there are things you can do to help your college student stay safe and healthy, starting with good preventative care, a good first aid kit and a clue about the health dangers sudden independence can carry.
- 5 Signs of Hazing: Is Your College Kid Being Hazed?
- College Kids & Alcohol
- Warning: Spring Break Safety
Money, Money, Money
It's not just the tuition. Parental pocketbooks seem to hemorrhage cash during the college years. Here's the lowdown on what to expect - including such unexpected expenses as lab coats, piano tuning fees and a $940 textbook tab - along with some money saving tips.
- A Parent Guide to Scholarships and Financial Aid
- 5 Ways to Save Money on Textbooks
- Beyond Tuition: The Other Costs of College
Care Packages & Gift Ideas
There may be no sweeter words in the English language than "care package." That lowly cardboard box filled with cookies and notes from home is a definite morale booster for college kids, and for parents, it's a great way to sublimate those empty nest emotions too. Here's a how-to on packing, filling and mailing those boxes, plus a slew of gift ideas college kids will love.
- Care Package 101 - All the How-Tos
- Birthday Cakes & Dorm Deliveries
- 89 Great Gift Ideas for College Kids & Young Adults
- Care Package Mailing Tips
- Perfect, Quirky Contents for Care Packages
- Holiday Gifts for College Kids (Under $30)
The Empty Nest
Everyone told you it would go quickly, and you didn’t believe it. But all at once, you’re standing in a college parking lot trying not to weep into your 6-ft. tall baby’s hoodie.
- Staying Close While Letting Go
- Empty Nest: 5 Steps to Surviving & Thriving
- 9 Ways to Make Dorm Move-In Day Easier