When grown-up kids move back home - and 60 percent of them do these days - there are always financial reasons behind the return. They're looking for a job, saving for an apartment or trying to dig out from college loan debt. So, here's a look at the major issues facing families with "boomerang kids."
- Everything You Need to Know When Your Grown Kid Moves Home
- Quiz: Are You Ready for Your Child to Move Home?
- The Emotional Side of the Move Back Home
- 6 Tips to Smooth the Transition
The first apartment is a mighty exciting thought ... except that you'll probably be co-signing the lease and you may be paying some rent and wait, whose couch is that? So here's a parent guide to the transition from college to the real world.
- Apartment 101: Parents, 20somethings & the First Apartment
- Typical First Apartment Expenses
- The Timeline: Finding an Apartment
- Equipping the First Apartment: From Couch to Toilet Paper
- After the Diploma
- Job Tips to Help New Grads
Weddings, Boyfriends & Relationships
Whether it's a serious girl or boyfriend, or an impending wedding, your child's relationships expand your family too.
- Wedding Planning Tips for Parents: Who Does What?
- Parents & Wedding Expenses
- Alternative Ways to Split Wedding Costs
- Readers Share Their Wedding Budget Experiences
Health & Safety
The days of DPT shots and polio vaccine sugar cubes may be long over, but even grown-ups need health care and insurance. These health-related tips for families with grown kids cover everything from HPV vaccines and other shots every 20-something needs, to health insurance for the not-yet-employed.
- Health Insurance for Your Not-Yet-Employed Child
- Vaccines for Grown-Ups
- Health Issues for Young Adults Going Abroad
Remember back when your kids were young and the parenting advice was, they don’t need a friend - they need a parent? Now that your kids are grown, it’s the reverse. Like any adult, they don’t want a micromanager vetting their playmates, fretting about how much sleep they get or how they spend their time. Instead, they’re looking for the very thing you once fantasized about: a wise and loving friend and mentor.
- Staying Close While Letting Go
- Great Books for Parents of Grown-Ups
- Vanquishing the Empty Nest Blues
- Family Vacations After the Kids Grow Up
- 5 Great Vacations for Families with 20somethings
- Quarterlife Crisis: I'm a 20-something, What Now???
- Quarterlife: 5 Ways Parents Can Help
- 5 Great Books: Helping Parents Understand the Quarterlife Crisis
Birthdays, Graduation & Other Celebrations
The days of pinatas and musical chairs may be over, but there's still plenty to celebrate with your 20-something! Browse the ideas below for 21st birthday parties, gifts and graduation celebrations.