Fermenting laundry, bizarre habits, compulsive "borrowing"? Share your worst roommate stories here! Share Your Roommate Story
- My roommate my freshman year never went to class and stayed up until about 4 or 5 am playing games and listening to music. I had to physically turn his stuff off to get some sleep ( I'm about twice his size also I wrestle ) he didn't get why I went to all my classes. He never took a shower or did laundry his mom picked it up once every 2weeks and it smelled so bad. He flunked out his second semester.
- —Guest don
- i recently moved out of my dorm room because my roommate was a total weirdo.. he would sit there and have conversations with himself. he would even laugh at his own jokes.. also he would never clean up his side of the room. and i'm pretty sure he's never washed his shower robe and it's been 8 months since we first moved in. then he would always touch my stuff. when i would have my radio on, he would walk over and shut it off and sit back down, even when i was sitting in front of it at my desk! and whenever he would talk to his parents, he would flip out on them and yell at the top of his lungs. but before he hung up he would tell them how much he loves them. like wtf?!? I'm so glad I got out of there!
- —Guest college student
Immature college students.
- When I first got to college I was so excited. It was the first time living by myself, away from my parents. At first me and my roommate got along but as time went on she became very disrespectful. She would come in at 4am while I was sleeping, making a huge ruckus by slamming her drawers and turning the light on, meanwhile I was trying to sleep 'cause I had class at 8am. Then my stuff started disappearing to the point where I went to campus safety and file a report. The other day I walked into my room only to find out my coffee machine was used and there were grounds all over it. Somebody opened up a new box of coffee of mine, used my coffee machine and left a mess. It was definitely my roommate but I can't prove anything. Now one of us is getting moved out of the dorm and I hope it's not me because the problem is her. Another big thing is that she would give her friends her key to our dorm so they could enter without her. WHICH IS AGAINST THE RULES. I have never met anyone so immature and disrespectful.
- —Guest DM
My 48 year old roommate has no respect
- Ok so we had no problems up until my boyfriend asked me back out in December last year(2013, now engaged and getting married in April). He has done nothing but bring me stress and anger these past few months. He started really bad when i told him i cant live here and that i am moving in with my Fiancee , since well im pregnant and this building is horrible. my landlord has tons of cats just let that sink in and you'll understand part of the reason why im moving out. ok so back to my ass of a roommate. Ever since i told him im moving out he has done nothing but cause problems for me. he even though he knows i hate this woman lets this woman come into the apartment, i understand he pays half the rent too but come on thats disrespectful and it caused me so much stress i was so frustrated i bawled my eyes out that night. he is a horrible parent and lets his daughter whos ten yell at 9am when im still trying to sleep and then lets her run in the apartment..so glad im gone in less than 4 day
- —Guest Pregnant and Stressed
LOSING MY MIND
- When I first moved in, I thought it would be fantastic. Away from my parents, I could eat whatever and freedom. Wonderful!
Now? I get along with ONE of FIVE roommates. Currently, I'm locked away in my room as they hold a third party. This week.
They complain when the house is a mess (they never clean up), they whine about how little money they have (surprise! It's all going to their alcohol - which, btw, is drinking underage) and how I'm a weirdo with social anxiety (drunk, angry, obnoxious people in my house help with that wonderfully).
I move out in ten days. But still. At this point, even I, the passive, shy, awkward girl, is going to blow and throw a hissy fit.
- —Guest Locked Away
- My roommate is a total bitch. Her favorite words to use is anything that starts with FU. She loves to call me the most filthy names that she can come up with. I am a 60year old woman with alot of health issues. I have talked to the landlord but it doesn't seem to matter as long as she gets her rent money .Will someone please give me some advice
- —Guest Mary Sanders
worst roomies ever
- My boyfriend and I found out we were expecting and moved into a 3 bdrm house. We had friends of ours move in with us since they had no place to go and winter was on its way. They had a Great Dane/Pit Bull who, as soon as he came into the house, ran to a stack of my pillows, all memory foam, and pissed all over them. Then as soon as they made him stop, he went to our reclining glider and pissed on that. They would come home whenever they wanted and drunk - when there was a 2 am/no-coming-home drunk as we were going to be having a baby. Stupid dog they had jumped on my tummy when I was 6 months along and I almost went into labor right then. They ate our food, dirtied our kitchen and both bathrooms. The female took 2-hour showers in the morning in the upstairs shower so that I had to go downstairs. They broke up and dude let his cat piss all over my newborn's bedroom and clothes and refused to clean it up. Then he got with a tweeker and they were doing meth upstairs where my baby slept. So done
- —Guest pissed off
When Fire Goes Down
- I have 2 roommates that I got along fine with. We decided to live with each other this year , huge MISTAKE. They are or became very lazy in nature where they do not take out the garbage nor clean after their dishes unless instructed to do so. I had an all-nighter to catch up in my statistics class. After class, I decided to take a nap and I told one of my roommates that I need to sleep. At around noon, the fire alarm came on. It was not a test nor a drill. Luckily I could hear the fire alarm and leave safely. They were outside. Some roommate
- —Guest Jerome
Great at First
- My roommate was great at first and we got along really well but then she decided to spiral down. She talks to me rudely whilst we're in the room and when her friends are around she makes me feel like (expletive) (as she tells me I am (expletive)). She has her bf in the room while I'm still hear and I can hear them. I hear her whisper "is she still awake?" "I'm not sure she's asleep." Like yes. I am awake. She never does her homework and is constantly asking for my notes, it's like she can't do anything herself. She acts like this is only her room and I'm so close to just leaving. Her boyfriend says bad things about me and then she makes fun of me behind my back. I just really want one of us to leave for good. I'm literally thinking about transferring just because of her.
- —Guest Why is this happening
Crossing the line
- My roommate and I first got along with our third roommate, but as the first semester went on she started to cross the line. It started with her leaving multiple (8) ice coffees in our room for more then 5 days. After asking her to throw them away many of times I ended up trashing them. She always has her music blasting while in the room when both my roommate and I are trying to study and when we ask her very nicely to turn it down she would answer with a rude remark. That's not the worst of it, she always has her boyfriend over at weird times. More then once they have been making out in front of not only us but also our parents and when we are trying to take a shower and we ask her what their plans are she just turns the music up and ignores what we're saying. Now if l that's not bad how about when she leaves her dirty tampon in the shower and then 3 weeks later leaves a used pad sitting on top of the toilet paper, super gross. Shes a child that doesn't know how to live with others.
- —Guest Carrie
Up All Night
- My cousin got married to this self- centerbitch who never cleans up after herself and steals my things. Not only does she steal my dvd's, make a horrible mess in the bathroom including leaving her junk and dirty makeup tissues on the bathroom counter, hair on the shower walls when the trash can is right outside the shower, and use my hair brush; she keeps me up all night. I work @ 4am almost every day and have to be up and out by 3. She and my cousin stay up all night hanging out on the back porch smoking or going out to bars and stumbling in too drunk to walk @ all hours. They always choose the late evening hours to clean their room right across the hall for me or put away towels in the towel closet right outside my bedroom door banging and crashing things to all hours of the night stomping up and down the stairs. So last night I told her to keep it down I have to work at 4 and she says we shouldn't have tiptoe around in the daytime hours (130am) just cause you have to work.
- —Guest Can't Sleep
worse than creepy
- i have never been the ideal roommate... nobody really is. but i had a very good friend who became a raving lunatic in such a short time it still gives me chills. we were having trouble but we were staying afloat financially... she had arbitrarily decided to take over the living room. i was upset and we had it out about that... one day i came home from work and when i opened the door the terra-cotta floor of the living room was full of pools of BLOOD!!! it looked like a murder scene... (sounds like i am exaggerating but i am not in the least.) and here was my roommate sitting there calmly watching TV... with a towel on her foot. she told me someone dropped an ashtray on the floor and she cut herself. i asked her if she was alright but she continued to blame me for dropping this ashtray, as her dog walked around the room licking the floor. i clammed up, told the landlord to come by and have a look.. then i told the landlord i was moving out. it still creeps me out.
Won't stop singing
- I moved in with this 50-something year old woman who has this thing where she gets on my computer in the living room and goes onto Youtube, while I was still signed in, and started listening to this horrible religious music. She was doing it so often that I had to start signing out of Google on the browser I was using because I was tired of her stuff showing up on my Youtube history. She's now moved on to singing and clapping along, and continued to do so after I brought it up that it was bothering me. It's to the point now that if I was to read in quiet, like this afternoon, I have to get ready and go out because she's that inconsiderate. On top of that, the lazy wench needs me to do all the shopping and pretty much all the cleaning for her.
- —Guest Shut the eff up
Roommate likes to blare music constantly
- My roommate blares obscene rap music constantly through his speakers when he is in our dorm room and I can be watching a show and then he will walk in, sit down, and turn on his music. I have tried turning up my volume to hear what I am watching, but he just turns his music up even louder. The fact that he will play his music until he goes to sleep at around 3 a.m. at the earliest, and then he has 4 different alarms that he lets go off of for hours. I'm going to lose my mind.
- —Guest Ironmanx
- I have a roommate who will not stop laughing to herself. She has never said a word to me since we've been roommates, even when I try to talk to her. She paces around the room and sometimes I even catch her watching me if I'm sleeping. She is so creepy! And that laugh has scarred me for life. She also puts the heat into 90 degrees even if it's really hot outside, and on top of that she smells bad and is a huge slob that will never clean! It seriously gets on my nerves and is so disgusting. She also left a USED pad on the bathroom counter.... Seriously people we're in college learn how to be courteous
- —Guest Jordan